Charles’s practice spans a broad range of corporate work with a particular emphasis on corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions. He has acted both for listed companies and investment banks on a number of transactions. In the corporate finance arena, Charles has been involved in rights issues, unbundlings/demergers, share buybacks, placings and restructurings. In the mergers and acquisitions arena, Charles has been involved in private deals, public takeovers (both schemes of arrangements and public offers), cross border transactions, joint ventures, black economic empowerment deals and private equity transactions.
Charles spent 2008 and 2009 working in London at one of the City’s major corporate law firms.
Some of the matters and clients Charles has acted for since returning from London include:
- Super Group on its proposed R1 billion claw-back rights issue
- South African Breweries on the disposal of its 49% interest in Tsogo Sun, and the acquisition of a 40% interest in Gold Reef Resorts, pursuant to the R21 billion merger of Gold Reef Resorts and Tsogo Sun
- Old Mutual on its aborted negotiations for the disposal of Nedbank to HSBC
- Morgan Stanley as adviser to Massmart on Walmart’s R16.5 billion partial offer for Massmart
- Simmers and Jack Mines on its R1.3 billion reverse take-over of Village Main Reef and subsequent unbundling of its majority interest in Village Main Reef
Areas of Practice
Capital Markets and Securities Law
Corporate and Commercial
Mergers and Acquisitions
BA, LLB (University of Cape Town)
Certificate course in Banking and Finance (University of Witwatersrand)
Certificate course in Advanced Company Law I (University of Witwatersrand)
Certificate course in Advanced Company Law II (University of Witwatersrand)